Over the past two years, I’ve had the pleasure of attending The Do LaB‘s famed transformational festival known as Lightning in a Bottle, and each time it was truly an indescribable experience unlike any other. With new dates falling in the heat of Summer and an unfamiliar venue situated in a desert environment, this year’s festival underwent a significant amount of change in certain aspects, but its fundamental anatomy remained as artistic, conscious, purposeful, and spiritually vibrant as ever – exceeding my expectations and providing for yet another phenomenal weekend.
Through hosting an extensive lineup of some of the most in-demand musicians, DJs, speakers, yoga instructors, and artists, among many other performers and participants, Lightning in a Bottle has once again exemplified why it has gained such prestige as a world-class event that draws thousands from far and wide. After the jump, I’ll run through my thoughts on the new venue/atmosphere, my top 3 performances, late-night happenings, other highlights, and some photos to give you a better visual perspective of the festival.
• Pretty Lights‘ full album available to stream
• Moderat Talks Collaborative Process and Making of Sophomore LP in New Video
• The Do LaB introduces “In The LaB” Podcast with select Coachella 2013 Performances
• SFX Entertainment reveals plans to acquire Stereosonic
• Seth Troxler‘s advice on the DJ game: “Don’t be a dick”
• Kraftwerk to begin work on ninth album, Ralf Hütter confirms
• The Do LaB announces official Los Angeles Lightning in a Bottle pre-party
• Native Instruments Unveils Kontrol Z1 for Traktor
• Hot Chip goes “Dark & Stormy”
• Lightning in a Bottle Presents Lucent Temple of Consciousness Speakers and Workshops
• ‘More Than a Show’ Doc Chronicles Check Yo Ponytail Concert Series
• Stream Leon Vynehall‘s New 12″ for Aus
• Porter Robinson‘s gig gone wrong: “The police are not on your side”
• Four Tet’s “Pyramid” remixed by Atoms for Peace
• House veteran MK intends to release his first solo album this year
• Purity Ring added to the Lightning in a Bottle Lineup
• Maya Jane Coles‘ debut album out July
• The Do LaB Does Coachella
• Catz ‘n Dogs and Martin Dawson to release album as Different Marks: stream the first track
• Diplo to produce “EDM craze” film
The visionary Southern California music and arts company, The Do LaB, has announced its Lightning in a Bottle 2013 lineup. With a diverse offering of top-tier and emerging talent including Rusko, Nicolas Jaar, Lee Burridge, Emancipator, Kastle, Psychemagik, Jobot, and Odesza, among many others, it is set to be yet another incredible experience supplemented by art, yoga, workshops, speakers, consciousness, and more. For tickets and more information visit lightninginabottle.org.
• Afrojack to remix Gangnam Style
• The Do LaB Announces Contest to win a FREE ROUND TRIP TO EGYPT and Scholarship to attend The Great Convergence 2012 at the Great Pyramids of Egypt + New Video!
• Jamie Jones billed for Hideout 2013
• Pioneer announces DJM-2000nexus
Last Saturday, the usual decadent Los Angeles debauchery was put on hold as The Do LaB brought a stellar lineup of Michael Menert, Phutureprimitive, Break Science, and Shpongle to the historic Hollywood Palladium. It was a night that turned out to be an enlightening journey accompanied by an incredible array of music that morphed and transformed perceptions of electronic music’s “status quo.” Read the full details after the jump…
Good morning! Today’s stories include the cancelled Creamfields, The Do LaB’s Rise & Shine Gathering, a clip from Fatboy Slim’s Big Beach Bootique, and Hotflush releasing a NeferTT EP. Please read on after the jump.