• Disclosure to start working properly on new album this September
• Mount Kimbie Shares New Mix, Announces Upcoming North American Tour
• Vanilla Ace Announces U.S. Ace Tour 2014, Offers Remix of ZHU’s “Faded” as Free Download
• Dim Mak producer Sonic C has died
• New LA residencies for Pete Tong and Justin Martin
• Watch Mount Kimbie play ‘Home Recording’
For this special 139th edition of The Dirt, we’ve teamed up with our homies, the Bixel Boys, who are quickly establishing themselves as ambassadors of the big-room underground sound. With their widely supported Black December EP (Sweat It Out!), recent Bring It On EP (Nervous Records), handful of addictive remixes/edits, and countless gigs in the bag, their career is gaining strong momentum that is sure to ride into 2014 and the many years to come. The Bixel Boys and myself have offered up our current favorite tracks touching on hip-hop, house, future bass, and more. ENJOY!
My love for the Wedidit collective is not really a secret, and the unbridled admiration stems mostly from the principle that they are simply a bunch of really fun idiosyncratic individuals who all create cool shit. D33J was one of the last in the crew I met, not before seeing him bouncing around / on top of me at Wedidit events and of course listening to his works in the musical circuit.
His upcoming EP on LA-based anticon was created in the windowless depths of what was explained as a 30-person warehouse living space in San Francisco over the course of one month. The imagery of the EP matches perfectly with the realms of D33J’s living situation during the creation of ‘Gravel’. The first preview of the EP, a track called ‘Slow’ which features the vocals from fellow warehouser Krayola, is a synthesis of two seemingly different senses and emotions. It is both synthetic and raw, gloomy and tender, dreamy and thoughtful, all at the same time.
• Hear a new set from Kaskade: “Think Vegas can’t go deep?”
• Watch Flume‘s new “Insane” video
• Dusky Details New EP for Aus
• Watch a New Video from Mount Kimbie
As this summer’s festival season comes to an end, Symbiosis Gathering looks to offer its patrons something they might not have gotten at some of their more commercial counterparts. The year of the Water Snake identifies this year’s ‘gathering’ in Oakdale, California, setting the mood through some iconic serpent mythology. In some cultures a snake represents an umbilical chord, joining all humans with Mother Earth. As snakes shed their skin they bring about images of rebirth and transformation, and in Hindu mythology they come to symbolize freedom for their untamable nature. Continue Reading
• RIP Romanthony, voice of Daft Punk’s “One More Time”
• Skrillex, Baauer, and Guetta win at Billboard Awards
• First Listen: Mount Kimbie, ‘Cold Spring Fault Less Youth’
• Todd Terje Preps New 12″; Preview It Now
GDD has decided to put a new spin on our weekly Dirts, and instead of pairing up internally we’re branching out and pairing up with artists. So every Thursday, hop on board with us and some of our favorite artists – where you’ll get your weekly dose of 100% free tracks from us and a cool little selection of music that gives you a bit of insight into the minds of the DJs and producers you know and love.
I’ve partnered up with none other than one of my best friends, probably one of the funniest and coolest dudes in the business, the #10 gentleman on my Sexiest DJs list: Max from Prince Club. He’s the DJ version of Tom Hardy and smokes more than a chimney, and because of that we present his top 5 tracks to smoke to. Click the jump to see some of my favorite free tracks of the moment, and check out Max’s favorite stoner jams as well. Enjoy!
• Stream Swedish House Mafia‘s Final Show
• Watch: Holy Ship! 2014 upsizes to world’s most epic party boat
• Flying Lotus and Thundercat working with Herbie Hancock?
• Mount Kimbie announce new album Cold Spring Fault Less Youth
• Modeselektor announce documentary film,We Are Modeselektor
• Mount Kimbie to Tour With Holy Other
• Cyril Hahn releases on new secret label
• Squarepusher Readies Digital-Only EP for Next Week; Stream a Track Now
• Baths Announces New Album Obsidian, Shares Track “Miasma Sky”, Tours With the Postal Service