In honor of James Blake winning the lauded Mercury Prize today for his √+ album, Overgrown, we would like to pass along this super hot new “version” from JB of Drake’s “Come Thru.” With acts like Disclosure, Laura Mvula, Jake Bugg, and more on the shortlist for Mercury’s album of the year, James Blake rises to a new level with this prestigious accolade. Congrats Mr. Blake, and thank you for loving Drake as much as we do.
Walter Ego’s new EP on MadTech, the Heaven EP, is out next week on August 5th, and it’s house-y garage-y goodness. The title track opens up the EP is soulful and warm, big garage vibes, bubbly pads, and soft organs in the background. It has a nice little shift towards the end, sharper drums and slightly more aggressive pads take it to an interesting new level. ‘Grab Somebody’ is a little bit more energetic, the combination of jazz-influenced hi hats and cuts of acid with what could almost be a xylophone on the chord progression deliver a fascinating and danceable house tune. The last track Jam Roll (For Love) takes things to a deeper and darker place, much more moody synths and pulsating bass. All three are solid in their own right, MadTech really nailed the choices, making the Heaven EP a memorable listen and a great asset for many a variety of DJ crates.
On Monday I hopped back on my favorite social media platform, Twitter, and got to chatting with MadTech Records (specifically James, who heads the label) and the latest artist on their top-notch and busy release schedule, Walter Ego. The boys and I discuss the artistic process, our influences and current musical explorations, food, and much more. You can check the interview behind the jump.
As the Indio dust is finally settling from two weeks of wind, heat and wild spirits across the polo fields, we look back at our favorite moments of this years Coachella Music Festival. With a staggering artist lineup each day making it almost impossible to catch every set we wanted to see, the most memorable performances are all that stand alone from such an incredible experience in the desert. Here are the “best of the fest” we have to give royalty to… Continue Reading
• Coachella Announces Set Times
• Electric Zoo Phase 1 Lineup—Main Stage West & Main Stage East Headliners Announced
• Watch James Blake‘s Video for “Overgrown”
• House talents Eats Everything and Justin Martin “30% there” on a full-length collaborative album
• Bomba Ibiza to host Vagabundos
• James Blake inaugurates the 1-800-Dinosaur label with new single; may be collaborating with Kendrick Lamar
• Maceo Plex goes to the “Galactic Cinema”
• Zombie Disco Squad mixes Classic Through The Eyes Of
• Will Saul to release debut album as Close
Finnebassen, like many others, could not resist the tempting sounds of James Blake and decided to do an edit of the unstoppable track, “Retrograde”. In true Finnebassen fashion, he adds his signature smoothness to “Retrograde” and for nearly nine minutes, makes you feel like nothing else in the world matters except the silky sounds dripping out of your speakers.
Grab the free .wav + melt away….
• Screen collapses at Ultra Music Festival, two workers seriously injured
• Twitter to launch music streaming service, Twitter Music
• Fever: It Was Beautiful. At Least In The Beginning…Before Things Got Out Of Hand
• James Blake goes goth on “And Holy Ghost”
• Jeff Mills collaborates with astronaut on Where Light Ends
• Kingdom Preps New EP for Fade to Mind
• Hear two new James Blake tracks
• Chicago’s Wavefront gives sneak peak of artists • LEME announces 2013 dates and lineup
• Shadow Child to make debut W.A.R appearance
• Psychemagik present Magik Sunrise
• James Blake Officially Announces Sophomore Album; Hear First Single Now
• Beyond Wonderland is back for 2013
• Thom Yorke’s Atoms for Peace announce AMOK launch parties: Actress, Throwing Snow, Shed and more support
• Sasha mixes Involv3r
• Nine Free Tracks In Honor Of J Dilla – Shigeto
• Swedish House Mafia announces One Last Tour dates + More
• Listen to the New Flying Lotus Album
• James Blake Announces UK Gigs and New Releases
• Chugg Entertainment bringing U.S. dance festival, Lights All Night, to Australia
Track of the day: Lapalux – Forgetting and Learning Again (ft. Kerry Leatham)