2014 was a pretty mental year for dance music, and it warms our hearts to see the sudden explosion of house music catching on here in America. With acts like Disclosure, Duke Dumont, and Clean Bandit getting Grammy nominations, it’s safe to say we’re in for a wild ride in 2015.
Here’s my 60 minute take on the last 12 months that features music from Oliver Heldens, Gorgon City, Maceo Plex and much more.
Best wishes in the new year!
Troy Kurtz | Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud
Anna Lunoe has had arguably one of the best breakout years amongst those in the electronic arena. Despite being a longtime tastemaker in the Australian music scene, her widespread success wasn’t fully discovered until a massive 2014. Check out our feature on the first lady of house vibes after the jump!
“2 Philly kids who like to bump” is the only quote necessary to describe the collaborative project known as Louis Futon. In less than a year the Philadelphia based duo have take soundcloud by storm, targeting chart-topping hip hop tracks and flipping them into down tempo house, or “Future Lean” as they categorize it. Their remix of Mos Def’s “Ms. Fat Booty” passed a million plays, and their recent original “Mojito” has already racked up close to 100,000 downloads. Fans of Flume, Cashmere Cat and Sweater Beats will be all over this new flip on Future’s single “I Won” – listen and grab it below for FREE!
Louis Futon on
The dirty bird brethren Worthy answered the prayers to everyone who loves the wonderfully weird ‘What About Us’ from Flume & Chet Faker but didn’t have a “club ready” version to play out… here’s what he had to say about it:
Little remix I did of Flume’s amazing “What About Us” tune. I have been in love and infactuated with this track for awhile that I decided to give it the Worthy treatment so I could play it in my sets. I hope you dig it as much as I do.
Grab it below for FREE!
• Jimmy Edgar does “Detroit radio circa 1993″ for his Essential mix
• Flume’s new album is “very much underway”
• Aphex Twin Kickstarter campaign raises $67,000
• Mark Ronson on sampling: “You can’t just hijack nostalgia”
The SLO-based duo TastyTreat jump back in the limelight with their new original ‘Nobody Else’ – a melodic bass driven jam that gives off spacey waves and so many feels. If you don’t know what that means then let’s just say fans of Flume, Wave Racer and Cashmere Cat will be ALL OVER THIS. Grab it below for FREE and support these young guns!
• Flume Announces Worldwide Tour & Releases 2xLP Deluxe Edition Vinyl; Shares New Video For “Space Cadet Feat. Ghostface Killah & Autre Ne Veut”
• Simian Mobile Disco to Record New Album WhorlLive in Pioneertown
• Maceo Plex, Dixon, Maya Jane Coles and More Headline DJ-Focused APEX Tour
• Download Motions‘ Synth-Soaked Remix of Samo Sound Boy
• Flume set for collaborations with Skrillex and Major Lazer
• Watch Magda Talk Berlin, Detroit, Richie Hawtin, and More
• Music individuals open lawsuit against SFX Entertainment
• Underworld recruited by Volkswagen to build “intuitive” music software for drivers
• Disclosure and Loco Dice headline Hideout 2014
• What So Not: “Dance Music Is Going To Move Back To A Live Concept”
The massive Deluxe Edition of Flume‘s debut album is now available featuring more treats than you’d know what to do with including this top mixtape featuring tracks from the album along with fresh verses from the likes of Ghostface Killah, Freddie Gibbs, Alexander Spit, Twin Shadow, and more. I love that Flume decided to re-release this album as a massive package. It deserves it. Listen to this √+ mixtape and find the tracklist with all collaborators after the jump.