• Hear Sasha‘s First Single in Almost Four Years
• Crazy P Announce New Album, Walk Dance Talk Sing
• Go behind the scenes at Ableton with a documentary on the developers behind the software
• Aphex Twin Preps New Single for Warp
• Hot Since 82 Announces the 1st US TAKEN in Los Angeles
• Download a New EP from Little People
San Francisco-based musician, Rob Garza, holds a legacy that will surely outlast the test of time. As a founder of the international music group, Thievery Corporation, Garza was at the forefront of electronic music movement many years ago, and after decades of accolades, he still remains as a trusted tastemaker as his genre-defying music continues to resonate within listeners around the world. By fusing elements of dub, trip hop, reggae, and bossa nova with an electronic backbone, he’s created his own lane that has inspired other artists to follow in his footsteps without regard to the status quo. Now as he continues on his journey as a solo DJ/producer, Garza explores new sonic frontiers in dance music, while also starting his own label, Magnetic Moon Records, with his debut Palace of Mirrors EP, due out next Tuesday, March 10th.
In celebration of Garza’s new EP, we sat down with him to discuss the release, how music is a type of transportation, why he returns to Burning Man year after year, how the thriving electronic music scene is a double-edged sword, what’s next for his solo career/Thievery, what he likes to drink (of course!), and more. Read the full interview after the jump.
• Jamie Jones and Lee Foss Launch New Label, Emerald City
• Dusky Presents Hits South Beach for Miami Music Week (03/25)
• George Maple Unveils New Track and Tour Dates
The Long Beach City Kids, aka LBCK, have been taking their brand of funk and soul-infused electronic music far and wide, gaining the trust of thousands for their consistent flow of jams like their contest-winning remix of Galantis’ “Runaway (U & I).” Today, they’ve given us the premiere of their latest effort, a re-imagination of Montell Jordan’s classic, “This Is How We Do It, that showcases their groove-driven, nostalgic sound that works perfectly in a modern context.
In celebration of the release, LBCK gives us some of their own words about their remix, “This tune is a certified classic — one of those jams you just have to vibe to. We’ve been playing this one since we were kids and have always thought it would be cool to throw some more contemporary funk stuff underneath the vocal. Kept it minimal and selective with the bass following the original progression. This is one to roll slow to.”
• Maya Jane Coles to release album as Nocturnal Sunshine
• CRSSD Festival Announces After Dark Program Featuring James Murphy, Damian Lazarus, Chromeo, & More
• Hear Max Cooper‘s Essential Mix
• Damian Lazarus Reveals Artist Album, Messages From The Other Side, & Announces US Tour
• KiNK lands on Running Back with Cloud Generator
• Barnt Announces Upcoming Remix 12″; Preview It Now
• Catz ‘N Dogz Announce Forthcoming Third Studio Album, Basic Colour Theory
• Samo Sound Boy Reveals Upcoming Debut LP for Body High; Hear a Track Now
• Eats Everything and Catz ‘n Dogz Join Forces for WMC Miami Sunset Cruise on March 27th featuring KINK live
• Worthy Releases Disbehave Remixes Part 1
Over the past couple of months, Santa Barbara’s rising indie-electronic group, FMLYBND, has been cultivating their already impressive catalog with songs like their original, “Letting Go,” and a cover of The Pixies’, “Where Is My Mind.” Today, they continue on their run of releases by putting out their latest single, “Air.” FMLYBND lays the foundation of the song with a mood-elevating, synth-laden groove before building out the rest of the track with dynamic textures, romantic lyrics, and vocal accents for yet another standout original. Check it out above and catch the band live at Popscene SF on March 6, followed by a tour with Milky Chance this Spring.
“Air” is available for purchase on iTunes, and stream on Spotify.
FMLYBND Facebook | Soundcloud | Twitter
• Nicolas Jaar scores The Color Of Pomegranates
• Listen to Redlight’s Inaugural BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix
• DJ-Kicks reintroduces 12-inch series with John Talabot
• Listen to a New Track from Matias Aguayo‘s Upcoming 12″ Series