• Simian Mobile Disco Readies New EP
• tINI, Crosstown Rebels and Hot Natured take home DJ Awards
• Watch: Flume makes a track with a lighter, robots, a tin can and more
• Soul Clap revisit Nice ‘N’ Ripe
Simian Mobile Disco Readies New EP
We’d be lying if we said we weren’t still thoroughly enamored with Simian Mobile Disco‘sXLR8R Pick’d Unpatterns LP from last year, so it’s easy to imagine our excitement when we found out today that the duo of James Ford and Jas Shaw will soon release its first offering of brand-new original material since 2012. The Tong Zi Dan EP is named after a Chinese delicacy which translates to “virgin boy eggs,” a fitting title for a record which will arrive via SMD’s own Delicacies label. Before it arrives as a two-track 12″—complete with Mike Dehnert’s remix of the title track on the b-side—on October 7 and as a four-track digital package on October 21, Tong Zi Dan’s artwork and tracklist can be found below.
1. Tong Zi Dan
2. Tong Zi Dan (Mike Dehnert Remix)
tINI, Crosstown Rebels and Hot Natured take home DJ Awards
This year’s movers and shakers in electronic music were selected by both public votes and an independent judges panel in 21 categories.
In celebration of its ten year anniversary, Crosstown Rebels took home an inaugural award in 2013 for Best Record Label, while Breakthrough Artist went to Desolat’s tINI (pictured) and Mexico was pronounced the winning Dance Nation.
Last year saw Armin Van Buuren, Maceo Plex, Arty and others go home winners.
The after party had names out of Guy Gerber’s Wisdom of the Glove take to the decks, including sets by Audiofly, Lee Curtiss (live) and Lawrence.
For the full list of winners, click here.
Watch: Flume makes a track with a lighter, robots, a tin can and more
Flume’s a resourceful guy. As the story goes, Harley Streten’s career began with a basic production CD he got for free in a cereal box when he was 13. Eight odd years and one platinum album down the track, though, it seems he’s still making music with whatever’s lying around. Today, the hitmaker unveiled a collaborative track made with Intel, crafted using no fewer than 60 Intel tablets, Ableton, a metronome and the less-glamorous likes of a tin can and lighter.
“I made Intel a song,” Flume posted on Facebook today. “They made me a tablet orchestra with a robot conductor.” You can watch the ‘tablet orchestra’, filmed at Sydney’s Carriageworks, unfold below. The Intel video includes about 2 minutes of the as-yet-untitled track – fingers crossed the full thing hits Soundcloud soon.
Want more of an insight into Flume’s creative process? This may be of interest: on November 8, Future Classic are releasing a deluxe edition of Flume that features a ‘Producer Disc’ with “a look inside Flume’s creative process and a beginner’s guide to becoming a producer [featuring] Ableton Live 9 Lite (Flume’s music production software), stems to three Flume tracks ( Holdin’ On, Insane, On Top), and more sounds and samples from Ableton.” Get the details on that here.
Soul Clap revisit Nice ‘N’ Ripe
The Boston duo of Charles Levine and Eli Goldstein are known for their love of old records and edits, and in Nice ‘N’ Ripe, they’ve found a treasure trove of classic UK garage. The label formed in 1993 in Finsbury Park, London and reached its apex in the late ’90s and early ’00s, when tracks by the likes of Industry Standard and 24Hour Experience became ubiquitous. Soul Clap have pulled together 30 of the label’s tracks for Nice ‘N’ Ripe All Stars, many of them retouched by the duo themselves. It’ll be available as a mix CD, a digital package of the 30 tracks in full (plus Soul Clap’s mix) and a four-track vinyl sampler.
01. 1st To Go – R-U-Reddy (Underground Instrumental Mix)
02. 24Hour Experience feat. Lorraine Lowe – Give Me That Love (Stepper’s Mix)
03. Urban Myths feat. Tiny – Pop No Style (Soul Clap Chocolate Fudge Edit)
04. Sylvester – Turn Table Mixer
05. Dangerous Liaison – Smoov
06. N-ergy – Changes (Bongo Dub Mix)
07. 3-Play – Rio
08. 24Hour Experience – Emotions
09. Intergration – Dubment
10. Grant Nelson – In My Soul (Soul Clap Nice ‘N’ Ruff Edit)
11. 24Hour Experience – Jazz From The Heart (Old Skool Re-Edit)
12. Thermo Statik – Men Beat The Drum (2 Taboo Remix)
13. Slypaul – Slypaul’s Groove
14. O.J.H. – Right Size
15. Planet Detroit – Find The Way (Soul Clap Smooth Jam Yumme Day Break Flute Edit)
16. Vision – Girl Let Me
17. Dub Syndicate Productions – The Big Chill
18. Strickly Dubz – I Can’t Stand
19. Urban Myths – I Just Can’t Help Myself (Original Version)
20. Ty Holden & James Reynolds – Nobody Else (Stepper’s Delight)
21. Jeremy Sylvester – Got To Go
22. Big Bird – Flav
23. Industry Standard – What You Want (Soul Clap Deep Edit)
24. Richard Purser – The Funk Daze
25. Livin’ Large feat. Colonel Abrams – Love Is What We Need (Radio Edit)
26. 24Hour Experience – Mantra
27. Sherwood – My Slave
28. Reflex One – I Need To Know (Main Mix)
29. Sly – Patiently 4 Love (2-Step Dub)
30. GOD feat. Frankie Paul – Kissing Game (Large Joint Slappy Mix)
Nice ‘N’ Ripe will release Nice ‘N’ Ripe All Stars on November 11th, 2013.
(via Resident Advisor)