• Hot Chip goes “Dark & Stormy”
• Lightning in a Bottle Presents Lucent Temple of Consciousness Speakers and Workshops
• ‘More Than a Show’ Doc Chronicles Check Yo Ponytail Concert Series
• Stream Leon Vynehall‘s New 12″ for Aus
Hot Chip goes “Dark & Stormy”
Hot Chip have put a new tune on YouTube, their first new material since last year’s album ‘In Our Heads’.
The single, ‘Dark & Stormy’, will be released on July 22 and sees the band in rockin’, punk-funk form.
In an interesting twist, the’ve signed up cult experimental figure Charles Hayward on drums for the track. Check it below.
Lightning in a Bottle Presents Lucent Temple of Consciousness Speakers and Workshops
- David Wilcock Bestselling author of The Source Field Investigations speaks on ancient civilizations, consciousness science, and his upcoming Hollywood film CONVERGENCE that unveils scientific proof that all life on Earth is united in a field of consciousness, which affects our minds in fascinating ways.
- Australian author, researcher, and scientist Michael Tellinger explores the origins of humankind making groundbreaking discoveries about the vanished civilizations of southern Africa.
- John and Ocean Robbins are co-founders and co-hosts of the Food Revolution Network dedicated to healthy, sustainable, humane and delicious food. John Robbins is the bestselling author of Diet for a New America and The Food Revolution as well as founder of EarthSave and award winner for his leadership and humanitarian service. Son of John Robbins, Ocean Robbins is an adjunct professor in Chapman University’s Peace Studies Department, co-author of Voices of the Food Revolution, and founder and director of Youth for Environmental Sanity.
- Author, philosopher and activist Daniel Pinchbeck is the editorial director of online magazine Reality Sandwich and online community Evolver and author of Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism and 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl.
- Activist and New York Times bestselling author John Perkins explores global economics, international corruption, and sustainability. His books include Hoodwinked, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, The Secret History of the American Empire, and other books on indigenous cultures and transformation, including Shapeshifting, The World Is As You Dream It, Psychonavigation, Spirit of the Shuar, and The Stress-Free Habit.
- Jamie Janover will share physicist Nassim Haramein’s grand unification theory and his lifelong journey into the geometry of spacetime and the fundamental structure of the universe and our existence in it.
- One of the most highly recognized visionary artists to emerge in the 21st century and creator of the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, Alex Grey will focus on spirituality within art and how it reveals humanity. He is a member of the Integral Institute, a board member of advisors for the Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics, and the Chair of Wisdom University’s Sacred Art Department.
- BASHAR is a communicator of extraterrestrial origin who has spoken through Darryl Anka about how the universe works and how each person creates the reality they experience.
- Dream Rockwell, co-founder of Lightning in a Bottle and director of Lucent Dossier Experience will share her wisdom learned along the bumpy yet fulfilling road as a pioneer and leader. She is the founder of Cuddle the World Foundation for institutionalized children worldwide
- Additional speakers include Richard Grossman, David Palmer, Colette Stefan, Jake Ducey, Ariel Ford & Brian Hilliard, and more.
- “Financial Liberation: Sovereignty in the New Economy” with Alexis Neely
- “Maps and Keys of our Currency” with Zachary Corzine
- “7 Stages of Sustainability: Social Permaculture in Action” with Melanie St. James
- “Holistic Dentistry” with Dr. Lori
- “GMO’s – Genetic Roulette” with Jeffrey Smith
- “Rain Forest Action Network” with Amanda Starbuck
Yoga classes will invigorate the human body and nourish the spirit.
- Los Angeles-based Micheline Berry is the founder of Liquid Asana vinyasa yoga, founder of Zen Dancing® and creative director and co-founder of Red Musette and Shaman’s Dream.
- Founder and owner of Power Yoga Bryan Kest aims to create the highest level of energy, vitality and freedom and fully integrate body, mind, and spirit through this invigorating flow.
- Known for her charisma and candor, Ashley Turner elegantly weaves profound yoga philosophy and practical life-changing tips into a vigorous vinyasa flow.
- Additional yogis include Mark Whitwell, Steve Gold, Cheri Rae, Tamal Dodge, Daniel Stewart, Kia Miller, Michelle Nayeli Bouvier, Shawn Bisi, Kishan Shah, Patti Quintero, Gigi Snyder, Cristy Christensen, Rachelle Tratt, Gianna DeFlice, Nicole Doherty and Marques Wyatt,and Kiyomi Takahashi.
- Movement Workshops: “YogaSlackers”, “Sunrise Zumba to Zeppelin”, “Sacred Dance of Sexuality”, “Belly Dance”, and “Hooping – Magic in the Mandala”
- One-on-One experiences in the Lucent Temple Interactive Stations: “Body Painting”, “Sketch Cabaret”, “Bamboo Building & Knotty Knot Tying”, “Glass Blowing”, “Healing Sound Orchestra”, “Metal Weaving”, “Tea Ceremonies”, “Quill Pen Writing Station”, “Create a Temple”, and “Temple of Awakened Vision”
Some noteworthy workshop titles include:
- “Sanskrit – Sound & Calligraphy”, “Essential Oil Wizardry”, “Social Permaculture – Redesigning Civilization”, “Lightning in a Blender”, “Partner Massage”, “Sacred Sexuality”, “Kundalini & Ascension”, “Shift Your Shit “Around Money”, “Conscious Design of Permaculture”
‘More Than a Show’ Doc Chronicles Check Yo Ponytail Concert Series
It took just a couple years for the original Check Yo Ponytail concert series to fizzle out in 2008, but in that same amount of time, its rebirth — Check Yo Ponytail 2 — has madeFranki Chan one of Los Angeles’ top independent event promoters.
Since late-2010, the Tuesday-night concert series has hosted some of the world’s top-name talents in the relatively intimate 700-person Echoplex, includingSkrillex, Justice, Diplo, Blonde Redhead, Trash Talk, Grimes, Andrew W.K., The Drums, Crystal Castles and, most notably, a recent secret show by The Rolling Stones.
Nestled into the heart of L.A.’s hipsterdom under a bridge in Echo Park, Check Yo Ponytail 2 has grown to become the go-to show for music’s best and freshest to cannonball into the Los Angeles market. From live visuals to live recording for later premiere on Pitchfork, CYP2’s top-notch production extends far beyond the average weeknight concert.
To celebrate CYP2’s first two years, Chan and the team at his IHEARTCOMIX record label and media group have produced the fittingly titled seven-minute mini-documentary, More Than a Show. In it, he and his collaborators look back at the restart of their winning formula, blending aesthetics of the DJ and indie scenes with a finger on the pulse of new, exciting music.
Chan says on More Than A Show they were “in a state of disbelief ourselves with how much had been accomplished.” But he also felt CYP2 could be better understood and saw this as an appropriate method of explaining it. “We treat these shows and the experience in the same way any other artist would treat their art form,” he adds.
Separately, Chan reveals they have been working on a feature length documentary as well, called Get Amongst It: The Story of the First Check Yo Ponytail Tour. As the title suggeststhe film will chronicle the brand’s first national tour with Spank Rock, Big Freedia, Pictureplane and the The Death Set, “which, for the most part, was a total disaster,” he says. “Luckily we filmed the entire tour and, in the end, it turned into a success. Kind of. But the road to get there was extremely rocky.”
A Kickstarter campaign to finish and release that film should launch in a couple weeks. “But first we really want to educate and excite people on what Check Yo Ponytail is before selling movie to them,” says Chan. “And that is what you have in More Than a Show.”
Watch a trailer for More Than a Show in the video above.
(via Hollywood Reporter)
Stream Leon Vynehall’s New 12″ for Aus
Brighton DJ/producer Leon Vynehall has had a busy 2013 so far, releasing a 12″ via Well Rounded Housing Project, a collaborative EP with Christian Piers as Laszlo Dancehall, and also contributing to the XLR8R podcast series. Next, the bass-minded patron of deep house will drop a new 12″ via Will Saul’s Aus label on June 10, but has opted to stream both tracks ahead of its release. On the a-side, “Brother” is a shuffling, garage-influenced slice of classic house, with the sharp piano stabs that are quickly becoming a trademark of Leon Vynehall’s distinctive style. “Sister,” on the other hand, takes things in a deeper direction, with a rolling bassline and a sighing, soulful vocal sample. Both tracks can be heard via the player below.