Good morning! Today’s news features the incidents at SHM @ Phoenix Park, Anna Lunoe & Cassian, Burning Man, Nero & Andy C Essential Mix, Bloc Festival, & the Boiler Room. Please read on after the jump.
Nine stabbed at Swedish House Mafia concert in Dublin’s Phoenix Park
Two of them were seriously injured during the event, headlined by dance act Swedish House Mafia.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested, but gardaí are investigating whether more than one person was involved.
A man believed to be in his 20s died from a suspected drugs overdose at the concert. A Garda spokesman said he had sought medical attention at about 19:00 BST but later died in hospital.
“Gardaí have not been able to identify this man and are asking family and friends to check that loved ones have arrived home safely from the event,” he added.
More than 45,000 people were at the concert, which also featured Snoop Dogg, Tinie Tempah and Calvin Harris.
A spokesman for concert promoters MCD said CCTV footage had been given to the police.
“Ticket holders entering the site were subject to a search permissible by law,” said managing director Denis Desmond.
“Every precaution, as far as possible, was taken to ensure the safety and security of the audience at all times.
“Despite our best efforts – with security and gardaí personnel levels well in excess of the required numbers for a licensed event of this size – there is only so much one can do to combat anti-social behaviour.”
Black Eyed Pea boots Cassian and Anna Lunoe off the decks in LA
First, house hero Mark Farina was kicked off the decks at Marquee in Vegas by a “table service crowd”. Next up, Calvin Harris alleged he too had been given the boot by a Vegas crowd for declining to spin hip-hop and Call Me Maybe sensation Carly Rae Jepsen. Well, they say bad things come in threes – and sure enough, tonight has seen two more esteemed DJs trumped to make way for a bigger commercial name.
This time, it’s some of our own local talent. Sydney-bred DJ Cassian and recent Flume collaboratorAnna Lunoe were both due to rep’ Australia at Hollywood venue Drai’s this evening. But midway through Cassian’s set (and before Anna took the decks) the pair suffered the ultimate indignity: being given the boot in favour of a Black Eyed Pea.
Earlier this evening, Cassian tweeted “@annalunoe and myself kicked off the decks in Hollywood by the Black Eyed Peas.” According to reports on ground, the guilty Black Eyed Pea wasn’t even primary punching bag will.i.am, but lesser-known bandmate apl.de.ap (real name or Allan Pineda Lindo, Jr.) “Really sorry for those who came to see me play tonight”, Lunoe tweeted. “Obviously it was out of my control”. We’ll bring any further updates as they come.
More Burning Man 2012 Tickets Becoming Available
On June 12 we announced that the BLM awarded Black Rock City LLC a one-year permit to hold Burning Man on the Black Rock Desert in 2012. We’re happy to report that in response to growing interest in the event, we were able to work with the BLM to increase the maximum population of Black Rock City to 60,900 participants in 2012.
Counter to misleading media coverage of this announcement, this does not mean that there will be 10,000 additional tickets available. In preparing for this year’s event we were working with a peak population of 58,000. Through the pre-sale last December, the main sale in February, the low-income ticket program, and the Directed Ticket Distribution process, we have officially allocated 57,000 tickets.
And now that we have a permit that allows for a maximum population of 60,900, it leaves us with a little bit of breathing room and a welcome opportunity to get more tickets out into our community, while thwarting scalpers who hope to capitalize off of the popularity of our event (to the detriment of our participants).
Our intention is to sell a number of tickets just shy of the population cap allowed by our permit. We want to be certain that we’re not in danger of exceeding that number … if we exceed our population cap in 2012 we could trigger sanctions that would seriously endanger the future of the event on the Black Rock Desert, and we all want to avoid that scenario!
After carefully considering input from our community, consulting with ticketing experts on best practices, and much discussion, we are pleased to announce that:
Today (Sunday, July 1,000 additional $390 tickets will be placed into the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP). This will get tickets to many of those who were not awarded tickets in the Main Sale, registered for STEP, and have been waiting patiently in the queue. (There continues to be a consistent trickle of tickets bought and sold through STEP, and the pace may increase as the summer wears on and people change their plans.)
And that’s not all…
1,000 additional $390 tickets will be made available to the general public through a first-come first-serve online private sale on August 3 at noon PST. You need not have registered for the sale in January, or signed up for STEP—anyone may participate in the sale, but you must request access to the private sale during a 12-hour sign up period between 10am PST and 10pm PST on Wednesday, August 1. When you sign up, you’ll be asked for your name, your email address, and your zip or postal code. You will then be added to the list of people allowed into the private sale. Your email address will be your key to enter the sale. The sale will take place online on Friday, August 3, at 12 noon PST. Tickets are one per person, will all be held at Will Call, and are not available for name changes (this is necessary to prevent these precious tickets from ending up in the hands of scalpers). Full information will be posted onhttp://tickets.burningman.com.
This sale will provide an opportunity to those who had hoped to buy tickets in the Open Sale that was planned for March and later canceled, while serving to put a damper on the scalper market by injecting tickets into the open market after physical tickets have been mailed out. Those feeling pressured to opt for a scalped ticket will now have an opportunity to get one at face value.
We’ve chosen this combined allocation because it serves those waiting patiently in the STEP queue, undermines the scalper market, and protects our ability to hold the Burning Man event in the Black Rock Desert for years to come. We know this ticket news won’t put a ticket in the hand of every Burner who wants one, but we are working tirelessly to get as many folks to the playa this year as possible. We look forward to seeing you in Black Rock City, or in one of the many other places around the world where the Burning Man culture is being manifested.
(via Burning Man)
Nero & Andy C Live – Essential Mix (Hackney Weekend 2012)
London’s Bloc festival was shut down due to rain, say police
The Metropolitan Police Department have issued an official statement to say that London’s Bloc festival was closed due to rain and not over-ticketing.
The electronic music event, which was shut down in the early hours of yesterday morning (July 7), issued a statement on its website that read: “By now everyone will have heard that Bloc 2012 was closed due to crowd safety concerns. We are all absolutely devastated that this happened, but the safety of everyone on site was paramount. Given the situation on the ground, we feel that it was the right decision to end the show early. Bloc will not open on Saturday 7th July so please don’t come to the site. Stand by for full information on refunds.”
However this afternoon, the Metropolitan Police Department’s press office told Dummythat: “The decision to close the venue was the festival organiser’s – though the Met were there to advise on the implications of either staying open or closing.”
The Met’s representative added that, “The problem stemmed from rain, and people hiding under cover during the showers, creating huge ‘pinch-points’. [This created the issues], rather than any over-ticketing.” The Met also confirmed there were no injuries or fatalities reported at the site, contrary to rumours on Twitter.
Prior to the cancellation, yesterday’s second and final day of Bloc 2012 was due to include performances from Battles, Gary Numan, Ellen Allien and a headline set from Orbital. The annual festival, devoted to electronic music of all genres, began in 2007, but this is the first year that it has taken place in London.
Watch Teebs and Prefuse73 Perform Live on the Boiler Room
Powered by Facebook Comments